This vegetarian stroganoff recipe is so warm and comforting, and easy to make in just under an hour!
Makes 4 to 6 servings - Prep time: 25 minutes - Cook time: 30 minutes
2/3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Pinch fine sea salt
1½ pounds assorted mushrooms
3 shallots, thinly sliced
2½ cups mushroom broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or dill, for garnish
- Place cashews in a small bowl and cover by about 1 inch with boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain, discarding the soaking liquid.
- In a blender, combine cashews, 1/4 cup water, vinegar, and salt, and blend until smooth. Add more water (one tablespoon at a time) as needed to make a cashew cream. Note: the consistency should resemble sour cream.
- Halve or quarter small mushrooms, and thickly slice large ones. Place mushrooms and shallots in a heavy pot and set over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms being to brown. Add in the broth a few tablespoons at a time to keep mushrooms from sticking to the pan.
- Cook, adding more broth as needed, until mushrooms are browned and softened. This should take around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining broth, mustard, paprika, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer until mushrooms are very tender and sauce is thickened, around 25 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cashew cream. Garnish with parsley or dill and serve with the remaining cashew cream on the side, enjoy!
Statements made on this website have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Information provided by this website or this company is not a substitute for direct, individual medical treatment or advice. It is the responsibility of you and your healthcare providers to make all decisions regarding your health. We recommend that you consult with your healthcare providers regarding the diagnosis and treatment of any disease or condition. Products sold on this website are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.